Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Katy Perry and the end of the world

Today I'm convinced Ke$ha will be the end to society.

Ok, not Ke$ha by herself, but all pop artists in general. I believe they are killing the vernacular and braincells of children everywhere.

I think I'm becoming paranoid in my jobless state, and I've also been reading too much of Chuck Klosterman's "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs." But regardless of that, something evil is going on here.

I recently came across a video I took of my 2 year old cousin singing Katy Perry's "California Gurls." Yes, you have that correct, she knows all the words, from "we'll melt your popsicle" to every note of the "ohhhohhhohhh's"

In the video, I'm encouraging her along, clearly unaware of the perils that are awaiting her.

Here's my point- my cousin has an older sibling, who when she was 3 told me when I told her she couldn't have lemonade "But Cousin Jessie, I'm simply parched!" This won her all the lemonade and ice cream she could ask for. At the age of 3, she was chatty with a large vocabulary.

This isn't to say that her younger sister is stupid, quite the contrary- she's just as chatty and "smart as a whip." The difference between the sisters is, the older one grew up on her brother's love for the Beatles and would ask me questions like "why isn't our president nice" while the younger asks me "Can I brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack?"

Entertaining, yes, but also the end of the world as we know it? Probably.

No comments: