Tuesday, April 27, 2010

$5- The price of a beer.

Dear Family, Friends, Colleagues, Teachers and Random Passers By:

In the Fall of 2004, I received a phone call. It was from a good friend of mine from high school, he was a marine. and he'd been shot in Falluja. When he called me back, he'd already had several surgeries. A bullet had torn through his back, and exited through his stomach. The bones in his foot and leg were shattered. Thanks to wonderful doctors, and many surgeries, he has almost fully recovered, with the exception that it is difficult for him to run, and it was a long road back.

On October 31st I will be running the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. I will be running for the charity Run for Wounded Warriors, which you can learn about here: www.runforwoundedsoldiers.org

I will be running this race for him, and all the Marines I've known who have died, been wounded, or have served, but most especially:
Srgt. Andrew Curran

Srgt. James Flattery
Lnc. Crprl. Matthew DeMarco
Lnc. Crprl. Richard Setterstrom

Lnc. Crprl. Jeremy Ailes
Lnc. Crprl. Nicholas Ulloa


And many others in the Marines, Army, Navy, and Airforce.

My goal on that day is the run the race in 3:30- one minute slower than my time in Chicago two years ago, and enough time to qualify me for the Boston Marathon. I qualified for Boston in Chicago 2008, but due to two high grade stress fractures in my right leg, I was unable to run. It is my goal to qualify and finally run in 2011!

Please help support me in my cause. If I can get 100 people to donate just $5 I will raise the 500 dollars I need to participate, but my goal is $1000. I have started off with my own donation, so all I need is 99 more people!

Click here to donate and help me out :)

http://www.active.com/donate/TeamAzalea2010/JUrgo1

I appreciate everyone who donates for my cause, and passes this note on!

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this!

+UPDATE Thanks everyone, I ended up raising $1,040!! I placed 131st out of 9,000 women with a Boston Qualifiying Time of 3:27. Here's a photo of me with a giant penis.

No comments: