Monday, May 31, 2010

A Drag Show In Denver

This weekend, my cousin visited and I went to Denver for the second time. And I saw a drag show.

What led me to see this drag show, was my first trip to Denver. I worked the Cuervo Games for CPB. My job was to hang out with the teams and usher them from event to event.

The first round I had bar teams. One of them from the Retro Room, and the other from Charlies, both in Denver. Both teams told me to stop by sometime.

Now, the team from Charlies was a dude covered in tats, a huge grizzly long haired metal head, a short kinda geeky looking guy, and a guy who I thought was kind of cute. They told me Charlies was a country bar and there was line dancing.

Well now, who isn't up for an occasional drinking and line dancing? I said I'd love to visit.

A week later, I've been drinking at the Rockie's ball park with my cousin, and three of his friends. My female drinking partner and I have decided to chase down these free drinks at Charlies- the guys opting to not walk a mile to a bar, stayed by our hotel.

We get to Charlies after walking through a seedy neighborhood. We're greeted at the door by a cop and a large, flamboyant man. We step into the club and our met by the aroma of a tex mex buffet. Further exploration leads us to a packed room with a half naked wo/man dancing and lip syncing in the middle of the floor. I find a guy from my Cuervo Team and take a shot.

We continue to watch the show. I'm really amazed by singer number to, who was in full shemale dress and belting out a great number. I looked around in amusement at the beer bellied man wearing only black mesh, the cowboys wearing nothing but underwear, a cowboy hatt and an unbuttoned tshirt.

Despite discovering the 10th wonder of the world, there was a bit of disappointment in the evening. While I prefer the ladies who actually sang, some of the lip syncers were great, except for the last one- who, unlike the males dressed as females, was a female who was more male. She put on metro station, "sang" 'Shake It', and all she did was stand in the middle of the floor jumping up and down.

I was expecting so much more from her.

Eventually, we had to move on, but one more drink in me and Lauren and I would have been in the middle of the dance floor collecting dollars and lip syncing with the rest of them.

No comments: