Wednesday, June 2, 2010

When I win the lottery, I'm building a spite house.

I don't know who I plan on spiting, but I think it will add meaning to my life, and will give me a chuckle as I die.

Until I get bundles of money, I will have to settle for a spite fence, which isn't nearly as cool.

If you would like to visit a spite house, they are abundant on the east coast.

Definition (Wiki): A spite house is a building constructed or modified to irritate neighbors or other parties with land stakes. Spite houses often serve as obstructions, blocking out light or access to neighboring buildings, or as flamboyant symbols of defiance. Because long-term occupation is at best a secondary consideration, spite houses frequently sport strange and impractical structures.

Spite houses are much rarer than spite fences. This is partially attributable to the fact that modern building codes often prevent the construction of houses likely to impinge on neighbors' views or privacy.

No comments: